Graduate Students and Professional Students

Last updated on September 9, 2021

Where to go for assistance if you are a graduate student/professional student applying for a fellowhip depends on the Sponsor.  


  • Federal sponsors and other domestic and foreign government sponsors – Research Management Services (RMS).  Click here to find support.


  • Industry sponsors – Industry Contracts Division (ICD).  Click here to find support.


  • The Graduate Division manages Non-Federal Fellowships and all predoctoral fellowship programs that award students independently of their institutional affiliations, listed below but not limited to (does not include support paid to medical students):
    • The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Fellowship
    • NSF Graduate Research Fellowship (NSF-GRFP)
    • Department of Defense (DOD) National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship

 For guidance please go to the Graduate Division website on How to Apply for Extramural Fellowships.

      Please direct all inquiries to:

    •  Karen Thiemann, Graduate Student Financial Analyst, Student Academic Affairs & Graduate Division


  • Professional students applying for predoctoral fellowship programs from non-government/non-industry sponsors that award students independent of their institutional affiliations: