Business Contracts

Last updated on June 22, 2021

Business contracts can take many forms. The following information is intended to help you understand the types of contracts handled by Business Contracts (BC). BC often receives requests for agreements that require analysis of the terms and conditions and/or scope of work to determine the appropriate contracting mechanisms.

For inquiries related to a business contract, email Business Contracts.


Types of Agreements Supported by Business Contracts Team

Note: These definitions are specific to UCSF. Other institutions may categorize or name an agreement differently.  

Professional Fee for Services Agreements (Pro-Fees)/Professional Services Agreements: Agreement for clinical patient care, medical director, or call coverage services rendered by an academic unit or faculty within the direct context of the UCSF mission other than research. The agreement is between an outside party and the university (UC Regents), not with individual faculty members.

Sales and Service Agreements: Agreement with the primary purpose of providing products or services to external entities in support of the University's education, research and public service mission (e.g. teaching a course, calibrating a piece of equipment, core lab services). Agreements will only be executed for recharge activities that have been approved by the Budget and Resource Management (BRM) Office. These agreements are not accounted for in RAS. See the BRM website for examples, overhead considerations and policy. BC supports contracting for the following sales and service activities:


Training Affiliation Agreements (TAAs): Agreement that permits a resident, fellow or student to perform clinical work or research through a non-UCSF institution.  TAAs are used for rotations required for credit by the accreditation organizations of the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and Pharmacy.

Faculty Consulting Agreement: Agreement between an outside party and individual faculty member, not with the university (UC Regents). Funds received by faculty members who provide occasional expertise or advice to outside organizations.

Disposition of receipts is governed by the terms of the faculty compensation plans.

Payment received by a faculty member for serving as a site visit member, consulting to non-profit companies, medical legal work (professional legal witness) or other similar activity. 

Please note: BC provides only a courtesy review of the Faculty Consulting Agreement to highlight some potential conflicts between the Agreement and the faculty member’s UC employment agreement. BC reviews of Faculty Consulting Agreements are not legal or other advice, and are not intended to be conclusive. BC recommends that faculty engage outside legal counsel to review the Agreement for terms that may affect faculty personally. BC is not authorized to sign the agreement or negotiate the agreement on behalf of the faculty member. See the faculty consulting section of the academic affairs website for additional information. 

If you would like to request review of a proposed consulting agreement, please follow the instructions on the Academic Affairs Faculty Consulting Activities Page (Request for Review Form located at the bottom), or you may contact Karla Goodbody, at (415) 476-1978 or [email protected].

 Please go to the Industry Contracts Division's website for more information regarding Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDA), Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) and Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs).  

How to Request a Business Contract

Professional Services Agreements (Professional Fee for Service, Medical Directorships, Clinical Management Services, etc.): Requests for Professional Service Agreements must go through the PSA Application in CACTAS. To request a CACTAS account, or if you need access to the system, contact [email protected]

Training Affiliation Agreements: All Training Agreements must be submitted by the appropriate School (Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, or Graduate Division) through the TAA Application in CACTAS. Requests should be submitted at least 60 days prior to the training start date.

Students: If you are interested in training with an agency or at a location outside of the UC system, you must first contact your respective school administration office. The school administration office will then submit the official request to the Business Contracts Office via CACTAS.

Sales and Service Agreements: 

For questions regarding status or general inquiries:

  • The status of a business contract can be checked in the CACTAS system by searching the CACTAS agreement number or the other party’s name. CACTAS login is available via single sign-on in MyAccess, using the Chatter, CACTAS feature.  For read-only access to CACTAS send request to [email protected].  Please indicate if you need access to TAA and/or PSA agreements. 
  • General inquiries regarding business contract matters can be sent to [email protected].
  • Inquiries regarding a specific business contract should be directed to the assigned Business Contract Specialist. 


Business Contract Resources  

Professional Liability Insurance: Certificate of Insurance Issuing

The University of California has partnered with Alliant Insurance Services to provide an online system to issue, view and distribute certificates of insurance the University is required to provide to evidence the University’s self-insurance coverages. 

To request access, please contact your local Risk Manager.

Access to the Alliant system (login required):

Certificates issued by the University

A Certificate of self-insurance is issued to a non-University party as required by agreement and to evidence the required types of coverages are carried and covered by a self-insurance program. Campus and medical center risk management offices are responsible for issuing certificates of self-insurance to the requesting third party. The University of California campus and medical center risk management offices have been delegated the responsibility for issuing certificates of self-insurance. Certificates must comply with the following:

  • Certificates should be issued in the legal name of the contracting party.
  • The type of coverage and limits should not be greater than required by the contract and should not exceed the self-insurance limits.
  • The other party should not be named as an additional insured or loss payee unless it is required by the contract.
  • The expiration date should be the expiration date of the contract, license, permit, etc.


When reviewing requests for renewal of certificates, all previous contracts and amendments should be reviewed to assure that the terms and conditions are still consistent with the applicable self-insurance program.

  • HIPAA Information 


Questions? Contact [email protected]