NOT-OD-20-070 establishes the stipend and other budgetary levels for FY 2020 Kirschstein-NRSA awards for undergraduate, predoctoral and postdoctoral trainees and fellows made on or after October 1, 2019, and supersedes NOT-OD-19-036.
Current stipend levels are to be used in the preparation of future competing and non-competing NRSA institutional training grant and individual fellowship applications. They will be administratively applied to all applications currently in the review process.
NRSA support is limited to 5 years (aggregate) for predoctoral trainees (6 years for dual-degree training) and 3 years (aggregate) for postdoctoral fellows. NIH provides 8 levels of postdoctoral stipends to accommodate individuals who complete other forms of health-related training prior to accepting a Kirschstein-NRSA supported position. Please note that the presence of 8 discrete levels of experience does not constitute an endorsement of extended periods of postdoctoral research training.
Other NIH Budgetary Notes:
- FY 2020 Stipend for Predoctoral Fellows is $25,320.
- Please see NOT-OD-20-070 for FY 2020 stipend levels for Postdoctoral trainees and fellows.
- Calculation and thresholds for Tuition and Fees for all educational levels remain unchanged.
- Training-related Expenses and Institutional Allowance for Postdoctoral trainees and fellows have been increased by $1,000 from $10,850 to $11,850.
- Training-related Expenses and Institutional Allowance for Predoctoral trainees remain unchanged.
Please see NOT-OD-20-070 for complete details. University-specific guidance is forthcoming from UCSF Human Resources.