NOT-OD-20-011 serves to update the NIH extension policy on the eligibility window for PIs to apply for a K99-R00 Pathway to Independence Award.
Applicants for the K99 awards listed in the Notice must have no more than 4 years of postdoctoral research experience at the time of application. NIH considers requests for extension of the eligibility window on a case by case basis for reasons including medical concerns, disability, family care, extended periods of clinical training, natural disasters, and active duty military service.
Consistent with the NIH Extension Policy for Early Stage Investigator Status (ESI), effective immediately, NIH will approve an extension of one year for childbirth within the 4 year K99 eligibility window. Applicants must provide the child’s date of birth in the extension request justification submitted to IC program officials and/or scientific/research contacts listed in the FOA at least 12 weeks before submitting an application.
Recommended timeframe to submit extension requests for NIH Standard Due Dates:
- For February 12, requests were due during the week of November 18
- For March 12, requests should be received on or during the week of December 16, 2019
- For June 12, requests should be received on or during the week of March 16, 2020
- For July 12, requests should be received on or during the week of April 13, 2020
- For November 12, requests should be received on or during the week of August 17, 2020