NOT-OD-20-057 announces that effective January 1, 2020 through an agreement between the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), investigators who are actively funded by NIH to conduct research that requires their research data be linked to the National Death Index (NDI), will be able to do so at no cost. To be covered by this agreement:
- NIH-supported investigators will continue to submit applications for NDI linkage per current NDI procedures
- NDI will review and approve or disapprove these applications
- The NIH-supported investigator must be the owner or steward of the research data to be linked to the NDI data file
- Investigators are limited to no more than 4 linkage requests in a calendar year
- Any linkages exceeding $100,000 will require NIH prior approval
See NOT-OD-20-057 for full details.