There are currently no outstanding LOIs, please check back again soon for updates.
Please note that the dates and eligibility requirements below are approximate, and subject to change.
|MONTH OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCED||FOUNDATION||PROGRAM NAME||
|January||Packard Foundation||Fellowships for Science and Engineering||Basic||W/in 3 years of Faculty Appt.|
|January||National Comprehensive Cancer Network||Young Investigator Award||
|First full-time appointment as an Assistant Professor, Instructor, or an equivalent level|
|January||NIBIB||Research Education Programs for Residents and Clinical Fellows (R25)||Education and Training||Open|
|February||American Association of Medical Colleges||Nickens Faculty Fellowship||Health Care Disparities||Assist. Prof. w/in 3 Years of Appt.|
|February||William T. Grant Foundation||Scholars Program||Translational||Within 7 years of terminal degree|
|February||V Foundation||Scholar Award||Basic
|Ladder-Rank w/in 5 years of Appt. as Assist. Prof.|
|March||V Foundation||Translational Grant||Clinical Translational||PI Pair with Basic and Clinical Expertise|
|March||American Diabetes Association||Pathway to Stop Diabetes||Basic
1) Initiator Award - Current training position, within 7 years of terminal degree
2) Accelerator Award - Open to current faculty
|April||Keck Foundation||Medical Research Program Science and Engineering||Basic||Open|
|April||Brain Research Foundation||Scientific Innovations Award in Neuroscience||Basic
|Tenured Associate Professor|
|May||St. Baldrick's Foundation||Infrastructure Grants||Clinical||Open|
|May||Pew Foundation||Pew Scholars Program in Biomedical Sciences||Basic
|W/in 3 years of Assist. Prof. Appt.|
|June||Gabrielle's Angel Foundation for Cancer Research||Integrative Medical Research||Translational||Assistant Professor|
|June||Gabrielle's Angel Foundation for Cancer Research||Mainstream / Conventional Research||Translational||Assistant Professor|
|June||Burroughs Wellcome Fund||Career Awards for Medical Scientists (CAMS)||Basic
|More than 2 years Post-Doctoral Exp. and w/in
2 years of Jr. Faculty Appt.
|June||Kinship Foundation||Searle Scholars Program||Basic||W/in one year Post-Assist. Prof. Appt.|
|July||Burroughs Wellcome Fund||Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease||Basic
|August||Greenwall Foundation||Faculty Scholars Program in Bioethcis||Bioethics||More than 60% Jr. Tenured Fac. Appt.|
|September||Keck Foundation||Medical Research Program Science and Engineering||Basic||Open|
|October||Brain Research Foundation||Seed Grant Program||Basic
|Tenure-track Assist./Ass. Prof.|
|October||Rita Allen||Scholars Program||Basic||Young Investigators|
|October||Damon Runyon||Clinical Investigator Award||Translational
|November||Mary Kay Foundation||Innovative / Translational Cancer Research Grant Program||Translational||Open|
|November||Amer. Assoc. of Cancer Inst.||Translational Cancer Research Fellowship||Translational
|Post-doctoral Fellow (not yet appointed faculty)|
|December||St. Baldrick's Foundation||Fellow||Translational
|2-3 years of Pediatric Oncology Research|
|December||St. Baldrick's Foundation||Scholar||Translational
|W/i 5 years of faculty appointment|
|December||St. Baldrick's Foundation||Research Grants||Translational||Open|
|December||St. Baldrick's Foundation||Consortium Research Grants||Translational
|December||St. Baldrick's Foundation||Supportive Care Research Grants||Social
|December||Macy Foundation||Faculty Scholars Program||Education||5 years or more as Fac. Member|
|December||Hyundai||Hope on Wheels||Translational
|Open to faculty; open to fellows with proof of faculty appointment w/i a year|
|December||Dana Foundation||David Mahoney Neuroimaging Program||Basic||Young Investigators|
Limited submission opportunities (LSOs) are extramural funding opportunities that either limit the number of applications UCSF may put forward to a given sponsor or require another kind of internal coordination (e.g., to eliminate unnecessary duplication of instrument requests). The Limited Submission Program (LSP) is responsible for notifying the campus of these opportunities, coordinating the internal review and selection process, and notifying all applicants of outcomes.
Who Manages LSOs?
The Limited Submission Program (LSP) within the Research Development Office (RDO) manages all LSOs. For more information, contact Sarah Nelson, at 415/ 502-1662.
The LSP is governed by an Advisory Committee charged with establishing policies and procedures. The Advisory Committee is sponsored by the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost.
- Danica Galonic Fujimori, Chair, PhD
- Mark Anderson, MD, PhD
- Hana El-Samad, PhD
- Michael Fischbach, PhD
- Bo Huang, PhD
- Mike McCune, MD, PhD
- Maria Orellana, DDS ,PhD
- Michael Prados, MD
- UCSF receives an invitation from a private foundation to submit nominees, a federal funding opportunity becomes available, the LSP receives notification of an LSO, or an LSO is identified by the LSP.
- The LSO is announced to the campus via the LSP listserv and applications for an internal the LSP listserv and applications for an internal competition are invited. To subscribe to the LSP listserv, please contact Sarah Nelson. A list of all current LSOs is also maintained online.
- All applications or internal LOIs are due to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10am on the internal due date, unless stated otherwise in the announcement.
- Pre-Application vs. Internal LOI process:
- Pre-Applications are used when the LSP anticipates more than a single application:
- Under the direction of the Chair, the LSP Advisory Committee identifies a review committee comprised of former awardees and faculty with area-specific expertise.
- Each application is reviewed and scored by at least two reviewers, and a nominee is provided institutional approval
- Internal LOIs are used to guage interest for any given LSO:
- LSP Advisory Committee reviews LOI and provides institutional approval for applicant to move forward with a full application.
- If multiple LOIs are received by the internal deadline, a full internal competition will be held, and applicants will submit a pre-application.
- After institutional approval to move forward with a full application to the sponsor:
- For opportunities sponsored by private foundations, the LSP coordinates with UCSF's Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations to provide nominees with editorial support. Nominees are always notified if this support is available
- For all opportunities, the LSP notifies RMS of all internal nominees who have received institutional approval to move forward with the full application.
- The LSP's involvement ends with results notification to all applicants. PIs should check with department RMS teams to identify the date by which they need the full application prior to the sponsor application due date.
Sarah Nelson, is the primary contact for general inquiries about the limited submission process. For more information contact Sarah Nelson at 415/ 502-1662.